Quick & Easy: Close All Open Windows and Applications At Once with CloseAll
This little tool lets you close all running applications with just a single click. It doesn’t use any system resources at all and unloads right after completing its task. CloseAll simply flashes a ‘close’ signal to all open applications on the desktop and then ceases.
To start using CloseAll, just create a shortcut to the tool on the Desktop, Start Menu, Quick Launch, Windows 7 Taskbar or elsewhere. You can always add a hotkey to CloseAll in the shortcut Properties.
Close All on Windows XP Quick Launch
Close All on Windows 7 Taskbar/Superbar
CloseAll is indeed very handy if you are running ~20 applications at the same time and want all of them to quit instantly. It works just as if you were pressing the close button of each application.
If you are looking for the way to close all open windows using a keyboard shortcut, check out our other project – WindowSpace. It contains many other useful features as well!
How To Install
CloseAll doesn’t require installation. There are no settings stored in the Windows Registry or file system. Follow these simple steps below to set it up on your computer:
- Download the ZIP archive and extract it somewhere on your hard drive.
- Open the extracted folder, right-click CloseAll.exe and choose Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut) from the context menu.
- Switch to the Desktop and rename the created shortcut to “Close All” or whatever you want.
- Now you can drag this shortcut to the Quick Launch Bar or to the Windows 7 Taskbar for easy access.
If you want to prevent certain applications from being to be closed by CloseAll, you can add a simple exclusion list to the CloseAll.exe command line.
- Right-click the shortcut and choose Properties from the context menu:
- Go to the Shortcut tab, Target and add -x="app-to-exclude.exe":
You can separate multiple values with “|” (pipe), example:
Click OK to save the shortcut properties. Remember, you'd better test it before using it!
CloseAll runs only on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and newer operating systems. It’s fully portable because there are no settings to be stored anywhere. And it’s FREE!